3rd Phase of Ohio River Greenway Project Set to Begin
At the Board of Public Works and Safety meeting, the Board approved a contract for federal funding for phase 3 of New Albany’s commitment to the Ohio River Greenway Project.
The segment is an 80/20 federal match, meaning the City of New Albany is responsible for 20% of the funding, with the other 80% coming from the federal government. The project is estimated to cost $2.5 million, and is set to begin construction next spring.
This project will connect the two phases of the Ohio River Greenway Project that New Albany has already completed (18th Street to Silver Creek and Sherman Minton Bridge to E. 8th). This is the 3rd of 4 planned segments, with the final portion of New Albany’s commitment running from the Sherman Minton Bridge to W. 10th Street.
This construction will continue the dedicated multi-use path of the Greenway, along with connecting the road that runs alongside it. The multi-use trail with also connect and provide access to East 10th Street, allowing better access to the Ohio River Greenway from Main Street and the Downtown residential corridor.
Additionally, it is anticipated that Clarksville will begin construction of the bridge across Silver Creek and multi-use path eastward to Harrison Avenue next spring also. This bridge would connect New Albany’s portion of the Greenway to Clarksville and the east end of the Falls of the Ohio, ultimately linking the project from New Albany to Jeffersonville.
“This is truly an exciting day for New Albany,” stated Mayor Jeff Gahan. “We are ever closer to the dream of connecting our local communities and riverfronts through the Ohio River Greenway Project.”